[Paraview] couple of issues related with co-processing ...

Ufuk Utku Turuncoglu (BE) u.utku.turuncoglu at be.itu.edu.tr
Wed Apr 13 08:44:16 EDT 2016

Hi,

I am using co-processing (Catalyst) and i have couple of issues about
the behavior of the co-processing module.

1 - If i send multiple 2d variable or single 3d variable to the
co-processor, my custom code is working without any problem and produces
desired output. On the other hand, the code hangs with multiple 3d
variable (it basically opens a square white window and waits, see the
attached screenshot). I have no idea about the problem because the
terminal does not produces any output. I could install the ParaView in
debug mode and it might help?

2 - The axis names (edited by Edit Axes Grid section in Properties
window) are not written to the produced png file when the visualization
pipeline is driven by co-processing but it looks fine under ParaView.

3 - When i trying to use volume rendering (single 3d field) along with
co-processing, the code gives following error

ERROR: In
/opt/progs/paraview-5.0.0/src/VTK/Common/ExecutionModel/vtkCompositeDataPipeline.cxx,
line 171
vtkPVDataRepresentationPipeline (0x7fea05244010): Can not execute simple
alorithm without output ports
ERROR: In
/opt/progs/paraview-5.0.0/src/VTK/Filters/Parallel/vtkPKdTree.cxx, line 296
vtkPKdTree (0x7fea04f42840): (process 0) NumberOfDatasets = 0, cannot
determine volume bounds.

I could produce iso-surface with same code without any problem. The
volume rendering is also working under ParaView.

The last question might be related with the grid definition in the
co-processing because i am using single netcdf dataset to create
visualization scripts (python) under ParaView but in the model code
(co-processing) the dataset is defined as MultiBlockDataSet due to the
parallel nature of the simulation code.

Regards,

--ufuk