[Paraview] Segfault with OpenGL2

Ken Martin ken.martin at kitware.com
Mon Apr 11 09:56:30 EDT 2016

As I understand it VirtualGL should transparently forward OpenGL/GLX/etc
calls from the server to the client so that the client GPU is used. So my
guess would be to first try running PV on the client and see if it works.
If that seems to work fine then you know your client graphics supports PVs
use of OpenGL and the issue could be in VirtualGL or some PV/VirtualGL
interaction.

Ken

On Fri, Apr 8, 2016 at 3:20 AM, Harald Klimach <harald at klimachs.de> wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> I try to use the OpenGL2 Rendering backend in Paraview 5.0.1 on Archlinux
> with an nvidia graphics card.
> The setup involves running paraview with VirtualGL in a x2go session, and
> I always get the following error:
>
> ———
> ERROR: In
> /home/gk772/abs/paraview/src/ParaView-v5.0.1-source/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
> line 575
> vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x42e8540): GLEW could not be initialized.
>

> ERROR: In
> /home/gk772/abs/paraview/src/ParaView-v5.0.1-source/VTK/Rendering/OpenGL2/vtkShaderProgram.cxx,
> line 399
> vtkShaderProgram (0x42d9dc0): Shader object was not initialized, cannot
> attach it.
>

> Segmentation fault (core dumped)
> ———
>
> I found the following thread referring to such an issue:
> http://vtk.1045678.n5.nabble.com/segfault-with-Opengl2-in-6-3-0-rc2-td5733742.html
> But it seems to be not exactly the problem I am facing.
> Another thing refers to EGL:
> https://www.mail-archive.com/paraview@paraview.org/msg25773.html, which
> again seems to be not really the
> same problem.
>
> This problem already arose in 5.0.0, but persists in 5.0.1. With the
> legacy rendering backend paraview continues to work in my setup.
>
> Can anybody give me some hints on how to investigate this further, or is
> there already a solution?
>
> Thanks a lot,
> Harald

Ken Martin PhD
Chairman & CFO
Kitware Inc.
28 Corporate Drive
Clifton Park NY 12065
518 371 3971

This communication, including all attachments, contains confidential and
legally privileged information, and it is intended only for the use of the
addressee.  Access to this email by anyone else is unauthorized. If you are
not the intended recipient, any disclosure, copying, distribution or any
action taken in reliance on it is prohibited and may be unlawful. If you
received this communication in error please notify us immediately and
destroy the original message.  Thank you.