[Paraview] PCL Plugin

Casey Goodlett casey.goodlett at kitware.com
Thu Jul 9 11:14:43 EDT 2015

On Thu, Jul 9, 2015 at 10:53 AM, Eric Younkin - NOAA Federal <
eric.g.younkin at noaa.gov> wrote:

> Casey,
>
> I am mostly interested in the feature extraction routines and Paraview
> integration with the Velodyne VLP-16.  I'd like to experiment with PCL
> algorithms to try and pick out fixed objects such as buoys or piers from a
> VLP-16 mounted on our research vessel as we travel up the coast.  I think
> most of my errors are from attempting to build using Visual Studio 2013 pro
> and older Qt/PCL versions.  If I can use the most recent versions, that
> might help things.

Sounds like a cool project.  You may need to add some additional wrappers
for feature extraction if you are looking for things beyond the sample
consensus models that we have.  I dont think any of the point feature
histogram utilities are currently wrapped.

Windows builds of the whole stack are a bit tricky.  Feel free to share
your error messages, and I'll help where I can.

The plugin does not include support for the VLP-16 in its current state.
We have another project VeloView <https://github.com/Kitware/VeloView> that
builds a paraview plugin for VLP-16.  I have used this in combination with
the PCL plugin in the past, but the build is not straightforward at this
time.

> The binaries you linked to here still require installation of Paraview and
> PCL correct?

This binary is ParaView with the pcl plugin built and packaged.  If you
download this it includes paraview and PCL.

--
Casey B Goodlett, PhD
Technical Leader