[Paraview] Box clipping is very slow and wasteful!

Armin Wehrfritz dkxls23 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 6 09:26:51 EDT 2015

This indicates that ParaView is not selecting a subset of your current
dataset, but creates a new one.  Things like that happen, when you have
a structured dataset and apply e.g. the threshold or clipping filter.
By this, you do not only duplicate a part of the orignal data, you also
create a unstructured dataset which uses significantly more memory than
a structured dataset.

So, which kind of dataset do you have?

If you have a structured grid (e.g. vtkImageData, vtkRectilinearGrid,
vtkStructuredGrid) then you could use the "Extract Subset" instead of
the clipping filter.

-Armin