[Paraview] color mapping + interpolation of areas of a pre-existing model's surface.

Mark Belan belanma at mcmaster.ca
Mon Jan 26 14:12:22 EST 2015

Hello all,

I am trying to develop a surface spatial distribution of data onto a
pre-existing 3D model. The model I currently have is composed of some 80K
polygons in mesh format (.obj file, captured via 3D scanner) and what I'm
trying to figure out is how to assign several areas of the mesh with values
(ie: isotopic data) and have the areas interpolate to cover the surface.

The images I've attached include the current model I am working on and the
approximate size and areas of where I'm sampling.

I'm wondering if instead of assigning scalars to each and every vertex of
the model, is it possible to assign scalars to groups of polygons and
interpolate this way? (that is, assign the "dots" in the "example" image
with values and have the "dots" interpolate amongst each other over the
surface of the model)?

Ideally, this would include much more than just 3 measurements but I am
trying to familiarize a general process of creating this before I receive
actual data.

If not, any guidance or suggestions to achieve the representation I want?

Thanks in advance for your help, I understand this may be a very unique
goal for Paraview.

- Mark

--
*Mark Belan*, B. Art Sc.