[Paraview] [EXT] Re: Exodus Block Names

Dennis Conklin dennis_conklin at goodyear.com
Mon Aug 31 17:22:08 EDT 2015

All,

My final complication is that I am having trouble assigning String Element Variables.

When I run the following code (assuming my earlier code):

def process_block(block):
   numElems=block.GetNumberOfCells()
   block_id=block.FieldData.GetArray('ElementBlockIds')
   #print block_id
   name=Blk_names[block_id-1]
   name_length=name.__len__()
   #print name
   #print name_length
   Block_Names=numpy.chararray( (numElems),itemsize=name_length )
   Block_Names.fill(name)
   #print Block_Names
   block.CellData.append(Block_Names,"Block Name")

I end up with a character array the size of numElems and holding the BlockName for every element.
The append fails with the error shown below.  It looks like it doesn't want me to append a string variable to block.CellData.    Is there a way to do this?

Thanks, yet again, for the umpteenth time!

Dennis

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<string>", line 21, in <module>
  File "<string>", line 45, in RequestData
  File "<string>", line 15, in process_block
  File "/apps/share/paraview/4.3.1/Linux/lib/paraview-4.3/site-packages/vtk/numpy_interface/dataset_adapter.py", line 649, in append
    arr = numpyTovtkDataArray(copy, name)
  File "/apps/share/paraview/4.3.1/Linux/lib/paraview-4.3/site-packages/vtk/numpy_interface/dataset_adapter.py", line 148, in numpyTovtkDataArray
    vtkarray = numpy_support.numpy_to_vtk(array)
  File "/apps/share/paraview/4.3.1/Linux/lib/paraview-4.3/site-packages/vtk/util/numpy_support.py", line 166, in numpy_to_vtk
    z_flat = numpy.ravel(z).astype(arr_dtype)