[Paraview] colormaps: white is not really white

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Tue Aug 18 10:48:37 EDT 2015

What I believe is happening is that you are coloring an object as white in
the 3D view, and the 3D shading is dropping the intensity of the color. By
default, the 3D view in ParaView is set up with 4 lights similar to the
lights used in a photography studio with the brightest light above your
head and a little to the right. This helps accentuate shades for 3D
objects and make their shape more clear.

However, I am guessing that you have a 2D object that is facing flat
parallel to the viewing screen. In this case, there is no shading to be
seen and the offset lights will dull the color. You can fix the problem by
adjusting the lights. To do this in (ParaView 4.3 and later), type
"Lights" in the search bar at the top of the Properties panel. When you do
that, under the View section you will see a group named "Lights" with a
button marked "Edit." Click the Edit button to get the "Lights Editor"
dialog box. Turn off the checkmark next to "Light Kit" and turn on the one
next to "Additional Headlight." Your object should look white now.

-Ken