[Paraview] Integrate globe view into custom application

Tobias Beeh Tobias.Beeh at t-online.de
Mon Aug 17 11:58:05 EDT 2015

Hello,

our team (11 students from the university of Stuttgart) is trying to
build a geovisualization environment on top of paraview.
Right now we're planning the architecture, which is quite difficult as
no one of us has any previous experience with paraview.

We discovered the class vtkGeoView and wondered if we could integrate
this view into the paraview UI.
If possible we would like to combine this view with other data loaded
into the paraview pipeline.
Otherwise we would need to re-write the whole vtkGeoView with LoD and
dynamic loading because the whole globe hi-res texture is probably too
big to load it into the RAM at once - even if not some other large data
sets need to fit in there as well.
We would like to avoid this of course.

Another approach we discussed was to tile the globe for different zoom
levels and load only those currently displayed, but we could not find an
automated way to reload geometry based on the camera position.

Pointers to useful development resources (other than the official
paraview guide, documentation, wiki and examples) are appreciated as well.
Thank you for your time,

Tobias Beeh