[Paraview] Trouble building paraview431 from source on workstation

Chris Coutinho c.coutinho at redstack.nl
Tue Aug 4 07:28:11 EDT 2015

Hello ParaView community,

Introduction
I have a workstation here at work where I want to utilize the additional functionality (MPI and python) of ParaView 4.3.1, therefore I want to install it from source. Although I think I compiled ParaView successfully, as root, another program that I use for CAD geometry (Salome) no longer opens correctly. This is directly due to the ParaView installation. Executing either of these two programs as root does not reproduce the errors discussed below.

Some background
I run OpenFOAM 2.4.x, which comes with ParaView 4.1.0 as a 'Third party package'. This is my attempt at installing another version of ParaView on the same system. I assumed I didn't need to remove the previous version, but this could be a mistake. Here is my system:

*         OpenSUSE 13.2, KDE 4.14.9

*         Cmake 3.0.2

*         Vtk 6.1.0

*         Qmake 2.01a

*         Qt 4.8.6

*         OpenMPI 1.7.2

My steps
I cloned the git repository and configured the build using Cmake (in a separate build directory) as mentioned on the build-from-source wiki, everything building the objects went fine until I tried to compile them. Since I want to place all compiled binaries and libraries into /usr/local/, I need to compile using sudo. My first question is: is this correct? This could be my problem.

My second problem was that after compiling paraview, executing paraview resulted in a segmentation fault. Some digging on archives of this mailing list and other forums hinted at adding the following library (/usr/lib64/libdl.so) to the MPI_C_LIBRARIES and MPI_CXX_LIBRARIES paths in ccmake. This solved the SegFault problem, and now I'm able to run paraview, but I'm getting the following errors:

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

Concluding remarks
Running Salome also shows the same errors, and doesn't open correctly (No GUI shown) when executed as a user. Running either program as root does not cause these problems/errors, but the errors that occur when opening Salome are more detrimental. I'm not a Linux veteran by any stretch, so I'm not sure how to diagnose what the issue is. Can someone give me an idea of how to solve this problem?

I reproduced my ccmake build configuration settings below.

Ccmake build options
BUILD_DOCUMENTATION              OFF
BUILD_EXAMPLES                   OFF
BUILD_SHARED_LIBS                OFF
BUILD_TESTING                    ON
BUILD_USER_DEFINED_LIBS          OFF
CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE                 Debug
CMAKE_INSTALL_PREFIX             /usr/local
CTEST_TEST_TIMEOUT               3600
GMVReader_GMVREAD_LIB_DIR        /opt/ParaView/ParaView-v4.3.1-source/Utilities/VisItBridge/databases/GMV
GMVReader_SKIP_DATARANGE_CALCU   OFF
MPI_C_INCLUDE_PATH               /usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/include/openmpi/opal/mca/hwloc/hwloc152/hwloc/include;/usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/include/openmpi
MPI_C_LIBRARIES                  /usr/lib64/mpi/gcc/openmpi/lib64/libmpi.so;/usr/lib64/libdl.so
PARAVIEW_BUILD_QT_GUI            ON
PARAVIEW_ENABLE_CATALYST         ON
PARAVIEW_ENABLE_FFMPEG           OFF
PARAVIEW_ENABLE_PYTHON           ON
PARAVIEW_INSTALL_DEVELOPMENT_F   OFF
PARAVIEW_USE_DAX                 OFF
PARAVIEW_USE_MPI                 ON
PARAVIEW_USE_PISTON              OFF
PARAVIEW_USE_UNIFIED_BINDINGS    OFF
PARAVIEW_USE_VISITBRIDGE         OFF
RMANTREE                         RMANTREE-NOTFOUND
SURFACELIC_PLUGIN_TESTING        ON
VISIT_BUILD_READER_CGNS          OFF
VISIT_BUILD_READER_GMV           OFF
VISIT_BUILD_READER_Mili          OFF