[Paraview] Fwd: Rendering speed sluggish using cluster

Christian Butcher christian.butcher at oist.jp
Mon Apr 13 22:31:08 EDT 2015

Utkarsh,

Previously, it was not okay when interacting with the 3D view.

Now, however, I have recompiled ParaView (both on the cluster and on
my workstation), and with settings at:

Remote Render Threshold : 0 (I don't think this was the culprit - it
was already low, but this makes it certain, I suppose)
Still Render Image Reduction Factor : 1 (I can't increase this, or I
seem unable to see the features of interest)
Image Reduction Factor : 8 (I'm uncertain if this is helpful, but
certainly the description would indicate it may be the option of
interest)

and
mpirun -np 12 path/pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
each having a maximum of 16G RAM and an IB connection between nodes,
the problem is vastly reduced/gone.

I'm sorry I can't be more specific as to what changed to make this so
much smoother - there are still delays, but now these are just a few
seconds, and that seems reasonable, compared with the multiple minute
lockups previously experienced.

I suspect I might have had some combination of poorly chosen
compilation options, and poorly chosen rendering settings.

Best,

Christian