[Paraview] ParaView Python problem

Ian Krukow i.krukow at tu-braunschweig.de
Thu Jun 26 06:30:39 EDT 2014

Hi all,

I like to keep different modules apart in python, therefore I use
     import paraview.simple as pv
instead of
     from paraview.simple import *

I never had problems with this, until I included the Python Calculator
in my script. Whenever I call "pv.Show()" on the Python Calculator, "pv"
(my ParaView module) is overwritten with some strange function object,
and with the next call of pv, I get an error. An example script is given
below. I am using ParaView 4.1.0, Windows binaries.

Now, there are, of course, several possibilities to prevent this from
happening, but I do not see any reason for this behaviour. Any ideas?

Kind regards
Ian

Example script:

import paraview.simple as pv

sphere = pv.Sphere()
pv.GetRenderView()
pv.Show()

pycalc = pv.PythonCalculator()
pycalc.Expression = 'Normals'
pycalc.ArrayName = 'Deformation'
pv.Show()

clip = pv.Clip()
pv.Show()
pv.Render()

On the "pv.Clip" call, I get
AttributeError: 'function' object has no attribute 'Clip'
It works fine in the GUI's Python Shell

--
Dipl.-Ing. Ian Krukow
Tel +49 531 391-3673