[Paraview] load factor instead of time for arc-length method

Sven Heinrich s.heinrich at tu-braunschweig.de
Fri Jun 13 08:10:35 EDT 2014

Hi,

I use an in-house code for FE-analyses using the arc-length method. The
results are stored in hdf5 format. A xmf-file is generated from this to
open results in Paraview. For incrementally loaded FE-analyses so far I
have used the time as a child of each grid element as shown below.

My problem is to pass the load factor from the arc-length method
computation to Paraview in order to plot results over load.

If I define an extra child besides the time like <Load Value="0.0"/> for
the load factor it will not show up in Paraview (or I haven't found it).
The time variable seems essential and if I set aside the "real" time and
assign the load factor values to it (which can - for the arc-length
method - decrease) Paraview will order the steps strictly ascending with
time (aka load factor) which shows weird results.

One solution would be to assign the load factor as a scalar to each
node. But this would increase the results by the number of nodes.

I appreciate any suggestions,

Sven Heinrich

--

Dipl.-Ing. Sven Heinrich

Institut for Structural Analysis
Technische Universität Braunschweig
Beethovenstr. 51
38106 Braunschweig
Germany

Web: www.tu-braunschweig.de/statik
Mail: s.heinrich at tu-bs.de
Tel: 0531/391-3678

<Xdmf>
   <Domain Name="Output>
     <Grid Name="Brick_Hooke" GridType="Collection"
CollectionType="Temporal">
       <Grid name="S_000000">
         <Time Value="0.0"/>
         <Topology TopologyType="Hex_20" NumberOfElements="1">
           <DataItem Format="HDF" DataType="Int" Dimensions="1 20">
             &H5File;:/Output/Hooke/Mesh/Connectivity
           </DataItem>
         </Topology>
         <Geometry Type="XYZ">
           <DataItem DataType="Float" Precision="8" Format="HDF"
Dimensions="20 3">
             &H5File;:/Output/Hooke/Mesh/Coordinates
           </DataItem>
         </Geometry>
         <Attribute Name="u" Center="Node" Type="Vector">
           <DataItem DataType="Float" Precision="8" Format="HDF"
Dimensions="20 3">
             &H5File;:/Output/Hooke/Data/S_000000/u
           </DataItem>
         </Attribute>
       </Grid>
       <Grid name="S_000001">
         <Time Value="10.0"/>
         <Topology TopologyType="Hex_20" NumberOfElements="1">
           <DataItem Format="HDF" DataType="Int" Dimensions="1 20">
&H5File;:/Output/Discrete/Hooke1/Mesh/Connectivity
           </DataItem>
         </Topology>
         <Geometry Type="XYZ">
           <DataItem DataType="Float" Precision="8" Format="HDF"
Dimensions="20 3">
&H5File;:/Output/Discrete/Hooke1/Mesh/Coordinates
           </DataItem>
         </Geometry>
                 <Attribute Name="u" Center="Node" Type="Vector">
           <DataItem DataType="Float" Precision="8" Format="HDF"
Dimensions="20 3">
             &H5File;:/Output/Hooke/Data/S_000001/u
           </DataItem>
         </Attribute>