[Paraview] Performance of the CGNS Reader

Richard Grenon richard.grenon at onera.fr
Fri Jun 13 05:09:20 EDT 2014

Hello Mickael

I found some CGNS files having sizes from 3 Gb to 4 Gb. These files are
available on my workstation through our internal network.

With your new CGNS Reader plugin, PV 4.1 is now able to load these files
within more or less 3 mn, depending on the load of the network. This is
very far from the 15 mn for a 1.3 Gb file when I made my first tests
with the previous CGNS reader!

You did really a good job with this new CGNS reader plugin! It has now
almost the same performance as Tecplot, and I hope it will be available
in next PV releases.

The only drawback is that PV is always frozen while loading the file: if
you mask the PV window, it becomes blank when you display it again,
until the file is fully loaded. But this is the same thing for all
readers, and an improvement for PV would be that all readers use a
specific thread (or processor) so that a progress bar could always be seen.

Best regards

Richard

--
  Richard GRENON