[Paraview] Memory explosion and strange behaviour -- Linux -- 'clip' -- 360 MB file needs 60 GB ??

Utkarsh Ayachit utkarsh.ayachit at kitware.com
Tue Jun 10 07:20:23 EDT 2014

> With 'clip' I wanted to see half the volume cut away, while being able relatively easily to move that cut plane up and down.

You can use the "Extract Subset" filter, however that does not  give
you an widget to play with instead you have to enter the i,j,k values
to subset out.

Alternatively if you are not interested in a volume but just a "slice"
through the data, then you can simply change the "Representation" type
from "Outline" or "Surface" to "Slice". You should then can move the
slice plane using the widgets under "Slicing" group on the Properties
Panel.

> I don't quite understand what the intended purpose of 'clip' is if not this? Is it for clipping meshes then rather than clipping volume images?

That is correct. Clip is intended for non structured datasets or when
you need non-orthogonal clipped volumes but at the cost of more
memory.

Utkarsh