[Paraview] Linking Catalyst example samples with Catalyst

Praveen Narayanan praveenn at nvidia.com
Fri Jun 6 05:18:42 EDT 2014

Greetings
I am examining the example code for catalyst from Andy Bauer's git repository  (https://github.com/acbauer/CatalystExampleCode).
I am trying to learn about the catalyst workflow before using it in my own in situ examples.

To this end, I built catalyst from the nightly samples in the paraview download page (http://www.paraview.org/download/). However, I was unable to run the examples satisfactorily.

1)      The method of extending the paraview source tree failed from the sources given in the above page (paraview 4.1)

python catalyze.py -i Editions/Base -o ../catalyst_src

fatal: Not a git repository (or any of the parent directories): .git

Error: Command '['git', 'rev-parse', '--show-toplevel']' returned non-zero exit status 128

2)  I tried two of the catalyst sources

a.  Base+python: This builds properly and links with the example code (CxxFullExample)

b.  Base+essentials+extras+python: This also builds and links with the example code, but I get the following runtime error:

ERROR: In /home/praveen/projects/catalyst/failed/base+essentials+extras+python/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager.cxx, line 565

vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager (0x12af110): No proxy that matches: group=animation and proxy=AnimationScene were found.

ERROR: In /home/praveen/projects/catalyst/failed/base+essentials+extras+python/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager.cxx, line 565

vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager (0x12af110): No proxy that matches: group=misc and proxy=GlobalMapperProperties were found.

ERROR: In /home/praveen/projects/catalyst/failed/base+essentials+extras+python/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager.cxx, line 565

vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager (0x12af110): No proxy that matches: group=misc and proxy=StrictLoadBalancing were found.

ERROR: In /home/praveen/projects/catalyst/failed/base+essentials+extras+python/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager.cxx, line 565

vtkSIProxyDefinitionManager (0x12af110): No proxy that matches: group=misc and proxy=ColorPalette were found.

a)  Logs: base+essentials+extras+python_CxxFullExample.log base+essentials+extras+python_CMakeLists.txt,

3)  The build base+python runs the example code, but does not connect with catalyst. Furthermore, upon running make test to test with the sample python script in 'SampleScripts' (which basically invokes CxxFullExample with the python script as an input argument, I get errors stating that it cannot load some vtk modules, which upon looking turn out not to be built at all

a.  Logs: LastTest.log (python script), and base+python_CMakeLists.txt for the catalyst build.

I would like to know what I am missing in these builds. It appears that some of the vtk modules are not being built:
Error: Could not import vtkCommonComputationalGeometryPython
Error: Could not import vtkRenderingCorePython
Error: Cannot import vtkPVServerManagerDefaultPython
Error: Cannot import vtkPVServerManagerRenderingPython
Error: Cannot import vtkPVAnimationPython

What is the correct way to get a working run for the examples supplied. Also, how do we connect to catalyst after this?  My understanding is that we just load up paraview (4.1) and then the simulation would connect to catalyst after we hit 'Connect to Catalyst' and load up the 'Coprocessing' plugin. Does paraview have to be built from source?
More specifically, is there a particular download version that might work, and what flags do we turn on in CMakeLists.txt? Is there any other set of examples (although I think the git examples demonstrate the workflow quite properly) that we could use to try catalyst?

Thanks
Praveen.

Applied Engineer
NVIDIA