[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] Memory explosion and strange behavior -- Linux -- 'clip' -- 360 MB file needs 60 GB ??

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Tue Jun 3 12:19:16 EDT 2014

On Mon, Jun 2, 2014 at 1:31 PM,  <Robert.Atwood at diamond.ac.uk> wrote:

> Aren't you glad I already reduced the data to 8bit grayscale and clipped out only 850x850x500 out of 4008x4008x2672 32-bit floating point values??? They keep building bigger cameras ...
>
> Did I mention it is part of a time-series?

This sounds like really interesting data! We are working on a Phase I
SBIR project looking at materials TEM tomography data in the range of
1024^3, and looking at strategies to accelerate marching cubes,
clipping, etc. This is in a custom ParaView application, and there may
be some outcomes that help you too. Is it possible to share any
samples of this data, and operations you are most interested in
performing on it?

>>Some of the greatest minds in the world are still trying to figure out how to visualize data of this size.
>
> Isn't that you guys? That's why I've tried Paraview! :-)  or is it Ajay?
>
> There is indeed a cluster lurking, once we figure out how to configure it. It has several (50?)  GPU nodes too. That's how we get such images reconstructed :-)

That should help!

Thanks,

Marcus