[Paraview] Segmentation fault when launching Paraview

Dan Mazur dan.mazur at clumeq.ca
Thu Jul 31 09:33:26 EDT 2014

Hello,

I have compiled Paraview v4.1.0 from source on CentOS-6.3.  It is my first
time compiling any version of Paraview from source. The configuration,
compilation, and installation all proceed without errors according to the
installation documentation. However, I am having trouble launching the
bin/paraview binary. I find that I get a segmentation fault shortly after
issuing the paraview command, before anything else happens.

The backtrace from the core dump is:
(gdb) bt
#0  0x000000320807efe1 in strcat () from /lib64/libc.so.6
#1  0x00000000004018f5 in vtksys_shared_forward_to_real (argc=1,
argv_in=0x7fff51113898) at
$PARAVIEW/VTK/Utilities/KWSys/vtksys/SharedForward.h:837
#2  0x0000000000401b88 in main (argc=1, argv=0x7fff51113898) at
$PARAVIEW/Applications/ParaView/paraview-forward.c:28

I have not found a solution to this problem from searching the Mailing list
or Google, but I did find an unresolved case that appears to be the same
issue:
https://hpcforge.org/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=98&group_id=34&atid=217

When I run 'make test', I find that many of the tests fail (37% tests
passed, 668 tests failed out of 1061). Apparently, the application hasn't
built properly. However, I am not sure what has gone wrong or how to
diagnose the problem from the log files. I have tried rebuilding the
application with the same settings, but got the same results.

I appreciate any guidance/assistance that can be offered. Thanks in advance.

-Dan