[Paraview] Using JOIN to load images from Many HDF files.

Marcus D. Hanwell marcus.hanwell at kitware.com
Fri Jul 11 15:42:53 EDT 2014

On Fri, Jul 11, 2014 at 10:51 AM, John Hammonds <JPHammonds at anl.gov> wrote:
> I tried posting this to the XDMF mailing list and have received no response.
> Hoping someone here can help...
>
> I have a number of images(a few hundred) , each collected in an individual
> HDF file, that I am trying to read into Paraview using a XDMF file.  I have
> found that I can use JOIN to do this but it seems that I need to nest the
> JOINs.  The nesting seems to be due to some limit on the number of things
> that can be referenced in the JOIN.  I seem to be limited to ten items in
> the join list.  All of this has me building some odd Join files due to the
> way things are joined at each level.  I am wondering if I am missing
> something that would make this a lot simpler.  Esp since I seem to have
> trouble when large sets are not the same size.  I am including a working
> XDMF file an example of one of the HDF files for reference.

How is your data produced? We are developing a custom ParaView
application, and as part of that we are adding some new readers to VTK
to support S/TEM tomography using an HDF5-based format. The spec is
here,

http://emdatasets.lbl.gov/spec/

It would be great to understand your needs, and whether some of this
development work could be tweaked in order to address a wider range of
experimental data that might help your user community. If XDMF is one
path, then we should also look more closely at supporting that too.

Thanks,

Marcus