[Paraview] Issue with ParaView rendering

Dieter Froning d.froning at fz-juelich.de
Tue Jul 8 02:34:39 EDT 2014

dear John,

from the mathematical point of view:

a) File 1 has a very small extent in y direction. That makes it
different from File 2.

b) The disp_Magnitude looks correct, the max value  0.1 comes from the
lower disp_z value (|-0.1|=0.1). Both files.

c) The error message from log scale is correct because log(0)=-infinity.
(log(disp_Magnitude)). It needs only one hidden position with its
|value| being 0 (i.e. value=(0,0,0)).

In such cases sometimes I pick the table view (get it with "integrate
variables"), pick the column where I want to look at and sort it
ascending by clicking at the column header. In that way you may find the
data with the lowest |value|.

Good luck!
--
mit freundlichen Gruessen / best regards

D i e t e r   F r o n i n g

Institute of Energy and Climate Research (IEK)
IEK-3: Electrochemical Process Engineering
tel.: +49 2461 61-6676
fax:  +49 2461 61-6695
e-mail: d.froning at fz-juelich.de

On Mon, 2014-07-07 at 14:00 -0400, John Mangeri wrote:
> I'm currently trying to compare two different mesh solution output
> files in ParaView 4.1.0 Linux64bit(Ubuntu 12.04 LTS). I'm getting an
> strange error that doesn't make much sense and I think may have
> something to do with my settings.
>
> I have a data range for the following variables to be rendered.
>
> File_1:
>
> disp_Magnitude: [0,.100]
> disp_x: [-0.001,0.001]
> disp_y: [-2e-5, 2e-5]
> disp_z: [-0.10, 2e-6]
>
> File_2:
>
> disp_Magnitude: [0,.100]
> disp_x: [-0.002,0.002]
> disp_y: [-8e-6,0.001]
> disp_z: [-0.10,0.0110]
>
> File_2 seems to be able to be rendered fine in ParaView but File_1 is
> giving me troubles. It says "Data range too small to render" in the
> corner Mapping Data section. I have another program(a simple gui with
> my solver) that can open these types of files(Exodus II .e format) and
> all is fine(no errors, the data is there) for both File_1 and File_2.
> Does anyone know what might be going on here?
>
> A couple things I've tried
>
> -For File_1 I tried to set a log scale for the color map transfer
> function and got this error:
>
> " Warning: Range [0,0.100038] invalid for log scaling. Changing to
> [0.0100038,0.100038]."
>
> So I know that the program sees the correct data range or does it?
>
> -I've also looked in the information tab for my exodus object in
> ParaView. It says my data ranges for all of the variables are type
> double [0,0] but this is absolutely wrong since I can open the same
> file in my gui and view the mesh with the correct data ranges for each
> of these variables. I also think the error for log scale conflicts
> this statement. Why does the information tab say [0,0] but log scale
> reads a range of [0,0.1]?
>
> -If I open File_1 and then open File_2 in this order I get the same
> error for File_2 that I get for File_1. Then if I change my disp_Mag
> variable to disp_X the problem ceases for File_2
>
> -Other unrelated files are giving me the same error but the data type
> data range is listed as double [.05,.05]
>

> Also I'm sure all of my settings are set to DEFAULT since I haven't
> changed them at all.
>

> Thanks for the help
>
> John M

Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH