[Paraview] A Forward Connection Over two ssh Tunnel

Burlen Loring burlen.loring at gmail.com
Tue Aug 19 14:56:25 EDT 2014

One thing to be aware of is the additional overhead of ssh compared to
something like ncat or portfwd. ssh encrypts/unencrypts it's data which
adds unnecessary overhead. I ran the 2 ssh tunnel solution at nersc for
a while on Hopper. The performance was noticeably better with ncat which
pipes data through untouched. The issue in large part because of the
heavy loading and heavy network traffic on mom nodes where second tunnel
ran. this is cray thing, you may not notice the difference between ssh
and ncat on a typical cluster or if the system is not hammered by 1000's
of simultaneous users as ours are. Still I think ncat is the best practice.