[Paraview] streamlines on 2D plane from 3D data

Ryan Crocker rcrocker at uvm.edu
Tue Aug 12 14:29:21 EDT 2014

Hi,

I'm using paraview 4.1.0-64bit and i'm trying to simply add streamlines from a 3D flow to a slice.  This happens automatically if i start with 2D data but i cannot seem to make it work with 3D data.  I've tried using the surface LIC plugin, but i when i activate it and try to use it as a representation nothing happens, the slice looks like it does without surface LIC.  I changed all the parameters to what should be applicable to my data and still, nothing happens.  Paraview is not even asking if i would like to apply the changes.

The second approach i tried was to use this tutorial:

http://www.paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Custom_Filters

but i'm not even sure how that is stared, is there a more step by step approach where they do this from initial raw data to the final form. I cannot get this to work.    This seems like something that should be pretty straight forward.

The flow i'm trying to visualize is a 3D convective cell.

thanks for the help,

Ryan Crocker
University of Vermont, School of Engineering
Mechanical Engineering Department
rcrocker at uvm.edu
315-212-7331