[Paraview] Please help to understand the live mode of Catalyst

Hong Yi hongyi at renci.org
Mon Oct 21 14:46:18 EDT 2013

Hi Andy,

A quick related question to confirm with you: for the Catalyst live mode to work, is pvserver process needed in between for the PV client to communicate with Catalyst enabled simulation? In other words, do I need to run two jobs on HPC, one is Catalyst enabled simulation, the other is pvserver, in order for the client to connect to the Catalyst enabled simulation via sockets? From your message below, it seems pvserver is not needed and I can directly connect a PV client to the Catalyst enabled simulation via sockets, is that right? It’d be great if that is indeed the case since it will simplify the workflow greatly. For one thing, users don’t have to worry about socket communication between two running jobs on HPC.

Thanks,

Hong