[Paraview] Please help to understand the live mode of Catalyst

Junyi Han demonmerlin at gmail.com
Mon Oct 21 12:50:14 EDT 2013

Dear all,

I'm new to Catalyst. I'm wondering how does the live mode work.
In my understanding, the simulation is modified to call Catalyst library
which can get pre-processed information from a python script file. The
simulation also connects to paraview client directly. It means that there
is no pvserver, instead, the simulation calls Catalyst library which based
on paraview lib and VTK lib to process data like pvserver, is that correct?
But in live mode, if I modify the paraview pipeline through the Paraview
client, for example, add a filter, how to inform the simulation that the
pipeline has been changed? If the simulation can be noticed of the modified
pipeline, why do we need to create a python script to describe the pipeline
at the beginning?

Best wishes,
Junyi Han