[Paraview] pvserver through ssh tunnel

Kit Chambers kit.chambers.kc at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 06:39:09 EST 2013

Hi,

I am trying to run a pvserver which is connected to using a client behind a
firewall. The firewall blocks everything except ssh going out. Hence I am
trying to use pvserver through an ssh tunnel.

My plan was as follows:

On client (inside firewall):
1 - Start paraview
2 - Create ssh tunell for port 11111
%  ssh -nNTR 2223:localhost:11111 me at pvserver-hostname

Then on pvserver-hostname start the pvserver, however I get the following

% ./bin/pvserver --server-port=2223
Waiting for client
Connection URL: cs://localhost:2223
ERROR: In
/home/rock/kit/PIG/Technical/software/pv_v1.0.0-release/ParaView-3.11.1/VTK/Common/vtkSocket.cxx,
line 206
vtkServerSocket (0x1d067ae0): Socket error in call to bind. Address already
in use.

ERROR: In
/home/rock/kit/PIG/Technical/software/pv_v1.0.0-release/ParaView-3.11.1/ParaViewCore/ClientServerCore/vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager.cxx,
line 284
vtkTCPNetworkAccessManager (0x1cb4aea0): Failed to set up server socket.

This procedure work fines for other services. For example:
% ssh -nNTR 2223:localhost:22 me at pvserver-hostname

Allows me to ssh back to my machine from pvserver-hostname (using port
2223).

What's so special about pvserver? Am I missing something really basic?

Kit