[Paraview] Performance of the CGNS Reader

Mickael Philit mickey.phy at gmail.com
Thu Aug 29 14:55:18 EDT 2013

Hello,

First, the CGNS reader coming through the VisItBridge is not working in
parallel, it's a plain serial reader.
Second, there are limitations to the current cgns reader way of doing
thing, since :
   - At the beginning, it parses the whole file (this takes a lot of
time) to get variable names, blocks and so on, before actually reading
the data.  [ I think that tecplot is cleaner because it seems to read
the whole CGNS file in one pass ]
  - meshes are read in a temporary array and converted to a VTK vector
of coordinates (thus memory manipulation)
  - for unstructured meshes, convertion from 'integer' to 'long' of
cells connectivity eats memory.
The CGNS reader can improve but at the cost of redesining some parts to
fit better in paraview and go for parallel.

Mickael