[Paraview] Performance of the CGNS Reader

Richard GRENON richard.grenon at onera.fr
Thu Aug 29 10:38:14 EDT 2013

Hello.

I am testing the CGNS reader of Paraview 4.0.1 64 bits running on a
Linux Workstation having 4 CPUs and 5.8 Gbytes of memory. Paraview was
installed from the binaries available on the download page.

I am trying to load a 1.36 Gbytes CGNS file that is available through
the network.

While loading this file, the Paraview Windows is frozen and cannot be
refreshed, and I must check with the "ps" command on a terminal window
or with a system monitor if PV  is still running or if it is really
frozen. A progress bar for all readers would be welcome in a next release.

Finally, the file can be loaded, but it always takes about 15 mn (+ or -
1 mn depending of the load of the network), while Tecplot always loads
the same file within less that 1 mn !

How do you explain this poor performance of the CGNS reader ? Can it be
improved, or am I missing something ? Is there some Paraview option that
could reduce loading time of large files ?

Best regards

--
  Richard GRENON
  ONERA