[Paraview] Uncertainty visualisation worked example

Kyle Lutz kyle.lutz at kitware.com
Thu Aug 22 09:44:08 EDT 2013

On Thu, Aug 22, 2013 at 9:37 AM, Kit Chambers <kit.chambers.kc at gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks Kyle,
>
> I guess what I was wondering is what sort of inputs it is designed for and
> meant to visualise. For example
>
> Is it something like:
>
> Data_field_1 = My values
> Data_field_2 = My uncertainties
>
> where
>
> MyResultsWithErrors = Data field 1 +/- Data field 2
>
> In which case can it handle a case where the errors are asymetric?
>
> Or is is more
>
> Data_field_2 = 1 - the chance of Data_field_1 happening
>
> Also can it handle point sets or just connected surface data?

The values (e.g. "Data_field_1") should be set as the regular "Color
by" array. The uncertainties (e.g. "Data_field_2") should be set as
the uncertainty array for the representation. The uncertainties are
expected to be positive and on the same scale as the input data. The
higher the uncertainty value, the more "noisy" the surface will be
rendered.

For now, the representation only works with surface rendering.

Hope this helps,
-kyle