[Paraview] Catalyst : crash using vtkSmartPointers

HOUSSEN Franck Franck.Houssen at cea.fr
Sat Aug 3 04:41:13 EDT 2013

Hello,

I try to understand if (and how) I can use Catalyst for my need (in-situ visualisation). I started with : http://paraview.org/Wiki/ParaView/Catalyst/Overview

To code the adaptor, you need to handle VTK objects. When using VTK, I generally prefer to use smart pointers (avoid looking for leaks).
Here is my code (this is the only call / use of VTK object in the all code)
paraviewAdaptor::paraviewAdaptor ()
{
  _spProcessor = vtkSmartPointer<vtkCPProcessor>::New ();
//  _spProcessor -> Initialize (); // Crash if uncommented ?!
}
Compilation is OK, but at run time I get a crash with this error message :
*** The MPI_Comm_free() function was called after MPI_FINALIZE was invoked.
*** This is disallowed by the MPI standard.

So I tried to use pointers instead of smartpointers :
paraviewAdaptor::paraviewAdaptor ()
{
  _pProcessor = vtkCPProcessor::New ();
  _pProcessor -> Initialize (); // Don't crash ?!
}
And I don't get any crash anymore ?!....

Why is that ? How can I use vtkSmartPointers ?

Note : I use ParaView-v4.0.1-source.tgz and I run on Ubuntu 12.04

Thanks,

FH