[Paraview] How to display the cellNormals as vectors?

Pieter Barendrecht pieter at redpanda.nl
Mon Apr 15 19:27:39 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I have just imported a 3D parametric surface in Paraview (from a .VTU file generated by a Python script), and I'm wondering how to display the cellNormals as actual vectors. Since a cellNormal has an X, Y and Z component, it should be possible to use these three scalar values to create a vector, pointing from the corresponding cell.

I know I can create a vector field with the Glyph function, but I'm not sure how to continue from there. I cannot select any Scalars or Vectors from the two dropdown menus/lists (they are enabled but there is nothing to select).

Any ideas on how to proceed would be very welcome!

Best,
Pieter

PS: I'm using Paraview 3.98.1 on a Linux machine.