[Paraview] Programmable Filter from Text Source prevents loading saved state

Michael Garba gmt2027 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 15 12:18:18 EDT 2013

I am attempting to create a custom reader in pure Python by attaching a
ProgrammableFilter to a Text source that provides file names and other
input parameters in JSON syntax. When the output type of the
programmable filter is set to a vtkRectilinearGrid (apparently anything
other than the original vtkTable input), Paraview throws the following
error multiple times

 > ERROR: In

/home/utkarsh/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkPVSessionCore.cxx,

 > line 389
 > vtkPVSessionCore (0x93ab660): Object type: vtkCubeAxesRepresentation,
 > could not find requested method: "SetOrientation"
 > or the method was called with incorrect arguments.
 >
 > while processing
 > Message 0 = Invoke
 >   Argument 0 = vtk_object_pointer {vtkCubeAxesRepresentation (0xa715620)}
 >   Argument 1 = string_value {SetOrientation}
 >   Argument 2 = float64_value {0}
 >

 > ERROR: In

/home/utkarsh/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkPVSessionCore.cxx,

 > line 390
 > vtkPVSessionCore (0x93ab660): Aborting execution for debugging purposes.
 >

 > ERROR: In

/home/utkarsh/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkSIProxy.cxx,

 > line 131
 > vtkSISourceProxy (0xa7142e0): Error pushing property state: Orientation
 >

 > ERROR: In

/home/utkarsh/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkPVSessionCore.cxx,

 > line 389
 > vtkPVSessionCore (0x93ab660): Object type: vtkGlyph3DRepresentation,
 > could not find requested method: "SetOrientation"
 > or the method was called with incorrect arguments.
 >
 > while processing
 > Message 0 = Invoke
 >   Argument 0 = vtk_object_pointer {vtkGlyph3DRepresentation (0xa81e6e0)}
 >   Argument 1 = string_value {SetOrientation}
 >   Argument 2 = float64_value {0}
 >

 > ERROR: In

/home/utkarsh/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkPVSessionCore.cxx,

 > line 390
 > vtkPVSessionCore (0x93ab660): Aborting execution for debugging purposes.
 >

 > ERROR: In

/home/utkarsh/Dashboards/MyTests/NightlyMaster/ParaViewSuperbuild-Release/paraview/src/paraview/ParaViewCore/ServerImplementation/Core/vtkSIProxy.cxx,

 > line 131
 > vtkSISourceProxy (0xa81b238): Error pushing property state: Orientation

The data is successfully loaded and, for the rest of the session, there
are no further errors. However, the application exits with a
segmentation fault and core dump when I attempt to load any saved
Paraview state files based on this pipeline. Any insights into this
problem will be appreciated.

Regards,

Michael Garba
IDEAS Research Institute