[Paraview] pvpython WriteImage output corrupted

Taylor, Erin M. Erin.Taylor at jhuapl.edu
Thu Apr 11 11:08:45 EDT 2013

Hi all,

I have a pvpython script that I've been developing and running
successfully on Mac OSX 10.6.8.  It renders a csv data set as points, then
saves an image to file.    It basically boils down to this:

cr = CSVReader()
cr.FileName = filename
cr.UpdatePipeline()
tp = TableToPoints(cr)
tp.XColumn = 'x'
tp.YColumn = 'y'
tp.ZColumn = 'z'
tp.UpdatePipeline()

Render()
view = GetRenderView()
WriteImage(image_path, view, Magnification = 2)

This works on the mac using pvpython.  However when I try to run the same
script on a 64 bit linux machine (same version of paraview, 3.98.1), the
image that is output from WriteImage is corrupted.  By that I mean the
image is a mess of black and white noise.  Sometimes the images have a
portion of the script output rendered correctly in a tile of the image.  I
should note that the image is rendered properly in the view window on this
linux machine, it is just the saved output that is corrupted.  I have
tried .png and .jpg image output with the same result.

I appreciate any ideas anyone might have on the cause of this!

Many thanks,

Erin