[Paraview] ParaView 3.98.1: Problems with Space Navigator

David Lonie david.lonie at kitware.com
Tue Apr 2 10:01:02 EDT 2013

On Mon, Apr 1, 2013 at 3:35 PM, Nenad Vujicic <nenadus at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone!
>
> I'm trying to make my Space Navigator working in ParaView v3.98.1 on my
> Windows 8 machine. I built sources without problems (using VS2012, with qt
> 4.8.4, python 2.7.3, boost 1.53.0, OpenMPI 1.6.2, VRPN 07_30 - all rebuilt
> in x64 mode) with turned on PARAVIEW_USE_VRPN and
> PARAVIEW_BUILD_PLUGIN_VRPlugin (+ flags for enabling shared libraries,
> python, mpi, visit bridge, etc). But, I'm unable to make it working from Qt
> client. Here are my running steps:
>
> 1. I start vrpn_server in background (with enabled line with my device).
> When I test it with vrpn_print_devices, everything works OK - whenever I
> touch my device, vrpn client prints some values,
> 2. I start ParaView's Qt client, load VR plugin, create Cone sourse, define
> VR connection and Interactions and push Start button,
> 3. I click on Cone source or "built in:" node in Pipeline Browser and touch
> my Space Navigator but nothing changes (except vrpn_server reports
> connection is established). Actually, for some actions like pushing button
> (on 3d mouse) I get several instances of following warning in Output Window:
>
> "Generic Warning: In
> ..\..\..\..\ParaViewCore\ServerManager\Core\vtkSMPropertyHelper.cxx, line
> 439
>
> Call not supported for the current property type."
>
> I get same behavior when I save options from my VR Panel to state file and
> load it. Here is VR content from state file:
>
> <VRConnectionManager>
>     <VRPNConnection name="vrconnection" address="device0 at localhost">
>       <Button id="0" name="MyRightButton"/>
>       <Tracker id="0" name="MyTracker"/>
>     </VRPNConnection>
>   </VRConnectionManager>
>   <VRInteractorStyles>
>     <Style class="vtkVRGrabWorldStyle" proxy="2125" property="Visibility">
>       <Button role="Reset world" name="vrconnection.MyRightButton"/>
>       <Button role="Rotate world" name="vrconnection.MyRightButton"/>
>       <Button role="Translate world" name="vrconnection.MyRightButton"/>
>       <Tracker role="Tracker" name="vrconnection.MyTracker"/>
>     </Style>
>   </VRInteractorStyles>
>
> I hope I made some small mistake:-). Can anyone suggest where could be the
> problem?

It's a bit odd to map all of the actions to the same button. Does your
input device only have a single button? The GrabWorldStyle requires a
button press to rotate or translate the view, but that same button is
also resetting any modifications it makes (since "Reset world" is
mapped to MyRightButton along with translate/rotate). These should
each be set to unique buttons.

Try using other buttons for reset/translate/rotate world. You can add
"dummy" buttons to the VR config if needed, just set the button's "id"
number higher than your device supports.

Hope this helps,

Dave