[Paraview] paraview 3.98rc1 and protobuf

fbissey at slingshot.co.nz fbissey at slingshot.co.nz
Mon Nov 12 21:08:35 EST 2012

Hi,

I am on linux and I tried to configure paraview with VTK_USE_SYSTEM_PROTOBUF on.
It failed miserably even though I have protobuf 2.4.0a installed. The message
was informative once I figured out what the problem was:
CMake Error at VTK/CMake/vtkModuleMacros.cmake:578 (find_package):
  By not providing "Findprotobuf.cmake" in CMAKE_MODULE_PATH this project has
  asked CMake to find a package configuration file provided by "protobuf",
  but CMake did not find one.

  Could not find a package configuration file provided by "protobuf" with any
  of the following names:

    protobufConfig.cmake
    protobuf-config.cmake

  Add the installation prefix of "protobuf" to CMAKE_PREFIX_PATH or set
  "protobuf_DIR" to a directory containing one of the above files.  If
  "protobuf" provides a separate development package or SDK, be sure it has
  been installed.
Call Stack (most recent call first):
  ThirdParty/protobuf/CMakeLists.txt:37 (vtk_module_third_party)

The problem is that linux is case sensitive and cmake (2.8.9 and 2.8.10.1)
install FindProtobuf.cmake. Notice the capital P? I am guessing I will have to
change one of the "protobuf" to "Protobuf" in
ThirdParty/protobuf/CMakeLists.txt.
But one more thing is nagging me. This is happening in the VTK subfolder so
presumably while configuring VTK. Yet I don't see any use of protobuf in VTK,
only in Paraview. So it should really be a Paraview_use_system_protobuf setting
and not be set up in VTK. I could of course be wrong.

Cheers,
Francois