[Paraview] Mesh Quality

Fastl, Thomas fastl at tugraz.at
Fri Nov 9 07:33:13 EST 2012

Dear Madam/Sir,

I am a student at Graz University of Technology starting with Paraview 3.10.1 and came up with a question I can not answer myself. I am using the Filter called 'Mesh Quality' with the 'Scaled Jacobian' option for hexahedral elements. I have some elements which have only six different vertices (instead of eight, which leads to a wedge) and the result is a value like 1e+30. I want to analyze this result, because in general the range for a 'Scaled Jacobian' is between -1 and +1. Can you provide me with the equation how this 'Scaled Jacobian' is evaluated in Paraview?
If the 'Scaled Jacobian' is evaluated with min(Jk/(norm(e1k)*norm(e2k)*norm(e3k))), where eik are the three edge vectors of vertex k and Jk is the Jacobian at vertex k of a hexahedron (this is evaluated for all 8 vertices and then the minimum is takes), we would get a '0/0' at one vertex of a degenerated hexahedron. I would expect to get an error, but instead I think I get extremely high values. But since the 'Scaled Jacobian' should take the minimum of all values in a hexahedron, I am not sure what is going on there.

I have to thank you a thousand times and hope that anyone can help me with my question!

Best wishes,
Fastl Thomas, BSc