[Paraview] paraview plugin for vtkImageGaussianSmooth, uniform grid slice representation smoothness

FISSELL at pitt.edu FISSELL at pitt.edu
Wed Mar 14 16:27:31 EDT 2012

Hi Burlen,  Utkarsh,

Thanks much for your detailed answers, and the caveat.
A developer here just told me that vtkImageGaussianSmooth
might not be what I need.  I am trying to achive a non-pixellated
look in a rendering of a slice from a volume.

Right now I read in the volume and choose a slice representation to
look at a selected plane.  The datatype remains uniform grid.
As per the image intensities in the voume, it looks a bit pixellated.
Changing shading between flat/Gouraud makes no difference, I think
because its not a surface.

If I read in the volume and then use the slice filter to extract a slice.
The output slice is polygonal mesh datatype.
I choose a surface representation to look at that slice and there is
a nice smoother look across the pixels.  (Changing shading between
flat/Gouraud
doesn't seem to make a  difference here either.)

The developer here thinks that even if I pre-smooth my volume with
vtkImageGaussianSmooth the uniform grid slice representation will
look a little pixellated.  Is there a way to get the nice smoothness of
the polygonal mesh surface look on my uniform grid slice representation ?
My script will just be a little more complicated if I need to call the
slice filter,
so I'd rather not if this can be handled at the representation level.

thanks
kate