[Paraview] issue with python/qt wrapping on ubuntu: Cannot create GLX context. Aborting.

Chris Kees cekees at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 14:31:18 EST 2012

Hi,

I've got an issue running a python/QT/VTK app built from the paraview-3.14
master branch and using qt-4.8 on ubuntu 11.04.  This has been working on
darwin as recently as a month ago and used to work on linux. The code
crashes with error:

ERROR: In
/home/cekees/proteus/externalPackages/ParaView/VTK/Rendering/vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow.cxx,
line 629
vtkXOpenGLRenderWindow (0x4ff4460): Cannot create GLX context.  Aborting.

When I insert the python debugger before the main bunch of Qt setup code
and single step through it, the code runs fine without error. If I let it
continue and/or remove the debugging statement entirely, it gives me the
crash. I've include the python code below. Any ideas on what is causing
this?

Thanks,
Chris

        skipComm = False
        self.comm = comm
        self.compManager = vtkCompositeRenderManager()
        if not skipComm:
            self.communicator = vtkMPICommunicator()
            self.controller = vtkMPIController()

self.controller.SetCommunicator(self.communicator.GetWorldCommunicator())
            self.compManager.SetController(self.controller)
            if useCoPro:
                self.copro =
initializeCoProcessor(self.comm,self.controller)
        self.myProcId = comm.rank()
        self.numProcs = comm.size()
        self.isMaster = comm.isMaster()
        self.background=(1,1,1)
        #self.background=(0,0,0)
        self.textColor=(0,0,0)
        self.name=name
        #vtk object dictionary
        self.vod={}
        if comm.rank() == 0:
            if hasQt:
                if useMainWindow:
                    import pdb
                    pdb.set_trace()
                    #Qt widgets
                    self.frameWidget = QtGui.QFrame(g.mainWindow)
                    self.hbox = QtGui.QHBoxLayout()
                    self.iren = QVTKRenderWindowInteractor(self.frameWidget)
                    self.iren.Initialize()
                    if comm.size() > 1:
                       self.iren.Disable()
                    else:

self.iren.SetInteractorStyle(vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera())
                    self.renWin = self.iren.GetRenderWindow()
                    self.renWin.SetWindowName(name)
                    self.hbox.addWidget(self.iren)
                    self.frameWidget.setLayout(self.hbox)
                    g.tabWidget.addTab(self.frameWidget,title)
                    g.tabWidget.setCurrentWidget(self.frameWidget)
                    screen = QtGui.QDesktopWidget().screenGeometry()
                    size = g.mainWindow.geometry()
                    (x,y) = (screen.width()-comm.size()*size.width())/2,
(screen.height()-size.height())/2
                    g.mainWindow.move(x+comm.rank()*size.width(),y)
                    g.mainWindow.show()
                else:
                    #self.iren =
vtkRenderWindowInteractor()#QVTKRenderWindowInteractor()
                    self.iren = QVTKRenderWindowInteractor()
                    self.iren.Initialize()
                    if comm.size() > 1:
                       self.iren.Disable()
                    else:

self.iren.SetInteractorStyle(vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera())
                    self.renWin = self.iren.GetRenderWindow()
                    #self.renWin = self.compManager.MakeRenderWindow()
                    #self.iren.SetRenderWindow(self.renWin)
                    self.renWin.SetWindowName(name)
                    self.iren.show()
            else:
                self.iren = vtkRenderWindowInteractor()

self.iren.SetInteractorStyle(vtkInteractorStyleTrackballCamera())
                self.iren.Initialize()
                self.renWin = self.compManager.MakeRenderWindow()
                self.iren.SetRenderWindow(self.renWin)
                self.renWin.SetWindowName(name)
        else:
            self.renWin = self.compManager.MakeRenderWindow()
            self.renWin.OffScreenRenderingOn()