[Paraview] Newbie Paraview support

David E DeMarle dave.demarle at kitware.com
Tue Feb 28 14:20:03 EST 2012

hdf5 is a meta file format, capable of storing anything at all, so vtk
and paraview need help interpreting what the contents actually mean.
The recommended way to do that is to use xdmf, in which a separate
text file describes the data in the file, and in particular the
entries that are spatial in nature and which scientific visualization
tools handle best.

If the data is spatial in nature, you could then write an xdmf file to
help paraview read it, or you could try John Biddiscombe's hdf5
introspector which creates xdmf files for you.

If the data is not spatial in nature you will need to find a different
reader that produce vtkTables and vtkGraphs instead of vtkDataSets.

David E DeMarle
Kitware, Inc.
R&D Engineer
21 Corporate Drive