[Paraview] cmake removing rpath

Peter Brady petertbrady at gmail.com
Fri Feb 24 14:55:54 EST 2012

Hello all,

I am trying to compile Paraview 3.12 on my x86_64 Fedora 15 workstation.
My main interest is in offscreen rendering so I had to build my own Mesa
libraries (7.5.2) with OSMesa.  The system OSMesa libraries are not set up
properly (or the wrong version) and so if I link to them, pvpython
segfaults when attempting to do offscreen rendering.  If I set my
LD_LIBRARY_PATH to include my 7.5.2 Mesa libraries then offscreen rendering
works fine.  However, I don't want my system as a whole to use my separate
Mesa libraries; only Paraview.  Normally I would accomplish this using the
-rpath option.  However during the "make install" process, cmake strips the
runtime path from the executables.  How do I stop this?

In my Cmake file, I have the flag

//If set, runtime paths are not added when using shared libraries.
CMAKE_SKIP_RPATH:BOOL=NO

but this doesn't seem to do the trick.

Based on this page
http://www.cmake.org/cmake/help/cmake-2-8-docs.html#command:set_target_propertiesit
seems there are additional variables I can set

INSTALL_RPATH
INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH
SKIP_BUILD_RPATH
BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH
CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH, CMAKE_INSTALL_RPATH_USE_LINK_PATH,
CMAKE_SKIP_BUILD_RPATH, CMAKE_BUILD_WITH_INSTALL_RPATH, and
CMAKE_INSTALL_NAME_DIR

As it takes a while to recompile each time I try a different combination of
flags, can someone tell me the magic combination of variables which allow
me set (and _keep_) my -rpath?

Thanks,
Peter.
--
Peter Brady, Ph.D.
Postdoctoral Research Associate

Sibley School of Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering
Cornell University
191 Grumman Hall
Ithaca, NY 14853-7501
peter.brady at cornell.edu <olivier.desjardins at cornell.edu>