[Paraview] 3D point cloud with color

David Doria daviddoria at gmail.com
Wed Feb 22 20:48:22 EST 2012

>> I have been working with 3D stereo reconstruction. So, I have huge 3d point clouds co-registered with color in this format [X Y Z R G B] (the first three vector columns specify the location of the single point and the last three one its color in RGB space). I have been trying to display the data in Paraview without success.
>>

>> I use the “table to points” filter to show the 3D coordinates but then I do not know  how to specify the color of each single point using its RGB components. Can you please help me out?

If you're more comfortable in c++ you could use VTK to parse the file,
construct a polydata, and then write a vtp file. Here are the examples
you'd need:
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/InfoVis/ReadDelimitedFile
http://www.vtk.org/Wiki/VTK/Examples/Cxx/IO/WriteVTP

Then Paraview can easily read this vtp file.

David