[Paraview] particle tracking

Marcelo Emmel marcelo at emmel.eng.br
Mon Feb 20 06:23:59 EST 2012

Jean Favre <jfavre <at> cscs.ch> writes:

> Berk Geveci wrote:
> > To animate particles in a
> > steady-state flow field, I'd think that you would generate streamlines
> > and then somehow animate particles along those.
>
> this is exactly the technique I use. Generate streamlines. Then
> iso-contour the streamline object with the scalar field
> "IntegrationTime". Use a single threshold. Then animate the threshold
> value. Use Mode=Sequence, get a ramp between minimum time and maximun time.
> Use Glyphs (small spheres or arrows) attached to the iso-valued contours
> and they will "animate" their position along the streamlines.
>
> Jean
> Swiss national Supercomputing Center

Dear Jean Favre,

Thanks a lot, you showed me the way after a long search time!
I am facing a new problem now: when making animations, Paraview uses all
available memory then crashes (I am using Paraview 3.12.0 64bit). I just can
make about 400 frames before crashing. After producing the animation, I do not
know how to "flush" memory, since it remains busy.
Thanks a lot and congratulations for your job.
Best regards,

Marcelo Emmel
Mechanical Engineer, MSc
www.emmel.eng.br