[Paraview] [EXTERNAL] netcdf reader

Moreland, Kenneth kmorel at sandia.gov
Wed Feb 15 11:56:10 EST 2012

This all depends on the structure of your netCDF file.  NetCDF is a general format that stores some set of named multidimensional arrays with attributes.  Generally when you write a netCDF file you need to follow some convention that provides semantic meaning to these arrays.

Given no other information, the default ParaView netCDF reader will assume that the arrays in the netCDF file represent uniform cartesian grids.  In addition, the default ParaView netCDF reader will look for attribute data conforming to the COARDS (http://ferret.wrc.noaa.gov/noaa_coop/coop_cdf_profile.html) or CF (http://cf-pcmdi.llnl.gov/) conventions.  These conventions allow you to specify spherical coordinates in terms of latitude, longitude, and height.

-Ken