[Paraview] Using paraview with a THREDDS server

Sean Delaney sdelaney at cp.dias.ie
Tue Feb 14 09:45:12 EST 2012

Hi all,

I'd like to find the best way to use Paraview when my data is on a remote
THREDDS server. I'm not an expert on paraview or threads so I'd love to
hear from anyone with experience doing this.

I'm interested in visualising climate / weather data that is stored in
netCDF format (conforming to CF conventions) on a THREDDS server. The
THREDDS system in an implementation of DAP and allows the user to download
partial files (just the data you need) using a url-based system. This
avoids the redundant downloading of huge files if only a small amount of
the contents are of interest. Can paraview be used in this way?

I know that paraview can handle netCDF data (and CF conventions). However I
don't know how to access remote netCDF data with DAP / THREDDS. Perhaps
something could be done with python bindings for netCDF or DAP? Perhaps
writing a new plugin is required? Surely someone has done this before me?
Any guidance gratefully accepted!

Sean