[Paraview] VRPlugin (some feedback)

Christian Wohlschlager Christian.Wohlschlager at jku.at
Thu Feb 9 02:49:42 EST 2012

** Reply Requested When Convenient **

Hello Stefan !

I have 2 Cave's on 3 screen and one 4 screens.

the one with 3 screen is in the form of a half pipe and the one with 4
is from left right botton.
we are using selfe made application as well as paraview and vmd.
VMD = Virtual Molekular Dynamics is using CaveLib
and paraview is using own code.
Just now Version 3.12 Paraview (former versions 2.8 have been ok vpn
traking was not possible )

now we try to use 3.12 with juchee vpn enabled and cave enabled.
but there are some problems displaying ??? large objects ??? ( 7.5 MB)

with simple objects i dont have that kind of problems (see
communication mail list)
maybe ( i dont know its a problem of the graphik card driver)

mfg

christian

Christian Wohlschlager
JKU Universität Linz
Altenbergerstr.69
4040 Linz
Austria

>>> "Stephan Rogge" <Stephan.Rogge at tu-cottbus.de> 2/8/2012 1:38 PM >>>
Hello,

I’ve start to work intensively with the VRPlugin from git-master and
want to get some feedback. First of all it works almost great :-). As a
tracking system I’m using A.R.TrackPack2 with two infrared cameras and
their VRPN server implementation.

To be able to compile that Plugin some modifications were necessary:
*  As mentioned in this post
(http://www.paraview.org/pipermail/paraview/2012-February/023816.html)
the proxy API undergone some changes. But it seems, that the author of
this post mixed up the parameter order.  He referred to proxy name and
proxy group. But it has to be swapped...
* Not important to me but required  to compile without errors:  In
vtkVRUIPipe.h the flag QTSOCK is checked for existence. I had to put it
in manually ("#define QTSOCK 1"). Don't know why.

Further modifications was necessary in the the vtkVRStyleTracking in
order to update the HeadPose. The proxygroup name must be changed to
"views". The group name "interactorstyles" in the post mentioned above
is NOT working, otherwise the plugin crash, since no proxy or property
can be found and the pointer are still NULL after configuration.

But so far, I was able to use the VRPlugin in ParaView in a two-side VE
and I've got the feeling, that virtual object placed in front of the
screens... :-)

Now, I have a kind of problem. When I am moving parallel (left to
right) to the screens, I can observe a sort of rotation which can be not
described as moving parallax. It seems, that the rotation point lies in
the center of my projection displays. Object which came out of screen
"standing" not on the same position. They are flying around. So, my
question is addressed to experienced Virtual Reality user: Is this
described behavior right or not?

Cheers,
Stephan