[Paraview] "pseudo" random glyphs

joseph insley insley at mcs.anl.gov
Wed Feb 8 16:56:15 EST 2012

Hi,

Is there a way to generate pseudo-random glyphs on an unstructured grid (or I guess any object for that matter), for time series data? That is, randomly select the points to use, but then use the same points for each time step.  If I understand it correctly, not checking the Random Mode box causes paraview to just select the first N points.  In my case (probably most cases), this concentrates all of the glyphs in one region of the mesh.  Instead, I would like to randomly distribute the glyphs across the mesh, and using the Random Mode for this works fine for a single time step.  But if I want to animate a time series, I would like to show glyphs on the same points for each time time step, rather than have the glyphs jump all over the place.  Is there currently a way of doing this?

Thanks,
joe.