[Paraview] pvserver does not terminate after gui disconnects

Burlen Loring bloring at lbl.gov
Fri May 27 12:53:03 EDT 2011

Hi Guys,

I have noticed this as well. I have been dealing with it by using qdel
to make sure the pvserver gets shut down and allocation doesn't get
wasted. I thought this happened because I used ncat to forward a port,
so I never looked into it.

I've used a bash script to submit the pvserver job to the batch system
so I can deal with this as follows: qsub returns the job id which I
save, I register an exit handler with bash to run the qdel command when
the script exits. then keep the script running in a while loop. This may
help you while this resolved.

JID=`qsub -v ... start_pvserver.qsub`
ERRNO=$?
if [ $ERRNO == 0 ]
then
echo "Job submitted succesfully."
else
echo "ERROR $ERRNO: in job submission."
fi

# make sure the job is deleted, if this window closes.
trap "{ qdel $JID; exit 0;  }" EXIT

JIDNO=`echo $JID | cut -d. -f1`

# keep the shell open
while :
do
   echo "Enter command (h for help):"
   echo
   echo -n "$"
   read -n 1 inchar
   case $inchar in
     H|h)
       echo
       echo "    u - qstat $JID."
       echo "    s - showq."
       echo "    c - checkjob $JID."
       echo "    d - delete job $JID."
       echo "    q - quit, and delete job $JID."
       echo "    p - pages job $JID's stderr/stdout stream."
       echo "    l - ls job $JID's stderr/stdout file."
       echo "    h - print help message."
       echo
       ;;

     D|d)
       echo
       qdel $JID
       echo
       ;;

     Q|q)
       echo
       qdel $JID
       exit 0
       ;;

     C|c)
       echo
       checkjob $JID
       echo
       ;;

     S|s)
       echo
       showq
       echo
       ;;

     U|u)
       echo
       qstat -G $JID
       echo
       ;;

    # rest of case statements go here

    esac
done

On 05/27/2011 07:55 AM, pratik wrote:
> Hi Utkarsh,
> This problem always shows up, even if i do not load any data.
> The build is: CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE=DEBUG (PV 3.10.1, both server and client)
> Can you please tell me how I can do a stack trace of pvserver?
>
> best,
> pratik
>
> On Friday 27 May 2011 06:51 PM, Utkarsh Ayachit wrote:
>> pvserver is designed to quit after the client disconnects. Does this
>> show up after a particular operations or always? Is this a debug
>> build? Can you post the stack track for the place where the server is
>> wainting after client quits?
>>

>> On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 12:16 AM, pratik<pratik.mallya at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>> Hi everyone,
>>> I have pvserver connecting to my client through reverse connection.
>>> However,
>>> after i disconnect from the gui, the job (submitted through PBSPro
>>> 10.6)
>>> continues to run, and i checked and saw that pvserver was still
>>> running on
>>> the nodes. Is there any option by which the pbs job will terminate
>>> when i
>>> disconnect from paraview client gui?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> pratik