[Paraview] Merging Coincident Faces

Randall Hand randall.hand at gmail.com
Wed Jun 29 10:50:46 EDT 2011

I'm working with an Xdmf dataset in ParaView 3.10.1 that has multiple
unstructured-grid blocks with overlap regions, however doens't seem to
actually have "ghost" cells.  This means when I extract an isosurface, I
wind up with perfectly overlapping faces.

I can use the Clean filter to eliminate coincident points, but but
coincident faces.  As an example, if I use the "Select Cells Through"
option to select 2 triangles on an overlapping border, I get 4 points
(normal for 2 triangles) but 5 cells, with perfect overlap.  The results
from an ASCII VTK File saved to disk:

vtk output
ASCII
DATASET POLYDATA
POINTS 4 float
1.37916 0.965356 0.21928
1.37129 0.964077 0.218481
1.37613 0.958331 0.219823
1.36947 0.958944 0.21948
POLYGONS 5 20
3 0 1 2
3 2 1 3
3 0 1 2
3 2 1 3
3 2 1 3

Is there any filter in ParaView capable of fixing this? Or does it have
to be an arduously slow Python script to run in a Programmable Filter?

--
Randall Hand
http://www.vizworld.com