[Paraview] frustrated newbie

Pai, Vinay (NIH/NHLBI) [E] paiv at nhlbi.nih.gov
Fri Jun 17 10:40:46 EDT 2011

How do I get the X thing to display on a remote machine, when I am using openmesa???

First, my configuration: a 2-machine "cluster" with a total of 3 quad-cores, running ubuntu natty narwhal. head node IP:a.b.c.d (all 64-bit machines)
My remote machine: win-xp laptop with IP add: a.b.e.f (32-bit machine)
MPICH1 up and running.  I cannot use MPICH2 since the tomographic reconstruction package that I have only works under MPICH1.  The recon
works fine and dandy within the cluster (so MPI is running, the cluster machines are happy with each other, and I can get in with my remote machine from home and chat with them nice-and-easy).

Now, the paraview bit:
I downloaded paraview source and did a manual install as per paraview.org notes to allow for MPI.  I included OpenMesa in the configuration and the paraview installed fine.  I can start up pvserver using mpi and start up paraview on the head node and that works.

However, my problem is when I am trying to use my laptop in conjunction with the cluster.  I have a win32 binary installation of paraview on my laptop.
Well I start up the server on the cluster using:
mpirun -np 4 pvserver --use-offscreen-rendering
and it says waiting for client and Connection URL: cs://localhost:11111

I start up the laptop paraview and ask it to use the server at a.b.c.d.
The server on the cluster gives an error message:
ERROR: In  <dirpath>/vtkSocketCommunicator.cxx, line 823
vtkSocketCommunicator (0x185ecd0): Tag mismatch: got 8843, expecting 99991.

It is weird that I downloaded paraview3.10.1 for both win32 and linux x86-64, but the paraview version that opens up on my linux box says it is 3.11.1
I am wondering if this is a problem?  I got both softwares from http://www.paraview.org/paraview/resources/software.html#latest....

I can provide more details on what all I have tried  (basically all the stuff that google has thrown up from various paraview-related websites) w/o any luck.

Vinay