[Paraview] Concept: A world without the Apply button

Samuel Key samuelkey at bresnan.net
Tue Jun 7 13:31:00 EDT 2011

All--

Technical reasons aside, my own simulation efforts (software that relies
on ParaView for post-processing) span a great variety of solid and
structural mechanics applications. The software is not a
single-formulation, single-solution, one-off problem solver.

Put briefly, I find the "Apply" button exceptionally useful.

The EnSight-formatted results files produced contain a surfeit (excess)
of simulation results for any one application. I use the "Apply" button
on loading results files for several purposes:

1) Load only results that are most useful to the current problem or
application.

2) Limit the results I examine to those relevant to the phase st hand:
      i) Phase 1. Are the results OK (BC's OK? Energy Balance OK?
     ii) Phase 2. Which result describes the response most effectively?
    iii) Phase 3. Presentation animations and figures for communicating.

3) Frequent tuning of various filters to refine the display of the
results being studied.

4) Last but not least, limit the results being examined at any one
session to avoid the MS O/S crashing PV because of the MS O/S limits on
resources usable.

Thanks for the opportunity to express my support for ParaView and its
exceptional versatility and effectiveness as a post-processing tool.

Sam Key