[Paraview] Paraview network interface

Andy Bauer andy.bauer at kitware.com
Mon Feb 28 10:21:44 EST 2011

On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 3:04 AM, <Alexander.Siemers at skf.com> wrote:

> Co-processing might or might not be what I was looking for!?
>
> However, I do not fully understand the functionality. Some questions that
> someone might be able to answer:
> 1. Do I need to link with the VTK libraries? This seems a bit heavy since I
> just want to send some data and commands to Paraview.

In some ways you can think of ParaView as an abstraction for using VTK in an
easier fashion in parallel.  Also ParaView is responsible for the
client-server communication among other things.  What do you want ParaView
to do that it wouldn't use VTK for?  There has been some work on only
including the necessary parts of the VTK library when doing coprocessing
when linking statically.  If you're interested in that I can get you more
information.

> 2. It seems that I need to setup Paraview before using co-processing, i.e.,
> load a simulation result that is similar to the data I want to analyze,
> correct? This is not very flexible. I would like to send commands to
> Paraview to perform the setup.

You can hard code a ParaView python pipeline script or C++ pipeline script.
Using the coprocessing script generator plugin is designed more for analysts
that aren't that comfortable coding and would rather set up their problem
through a gui.

> 3. I would also like to read the current Paraview state (setup) through the
> interface and store it, is this possible?

Maybe I'm not sure what you mean about this but this is what the
coprocessing script generator plugin is for.  I imagine the ParaView state
could be used for this but there'd probably have to be some extra
information passed in.

> 4. I do not understand "coprocessing library determines if any
> coprocessing needs to be performed at time step i", how can the library
> determine anything that is related to my data?

During the coprocessing script generation the user must enter how often data
is to be outputted (e.g. what time steps).  More complex logic could be
added (e.g. when total energy hits a certain value, when velocity is in a
specified range) but that would be rather difficult to do in a generic way.
The vtkCPPipeline::RequestDataDescription method is the one responsible for
determining if a pipeline wants to do coprocessing during a specific time
step.

Hope this helps.
Andy