[Paraview] paraview crashes on obj file originating from VMD

Peter C. Lai pcl at uab.edu
Fri Feb 4 18:42:35 EST 2011

Hello

We need to export molecular structures and surface renders from UIUC's VMD
to OBJ with color/material support into Paraview for use with VisBox.
Paraview 3.8.1 and 3.10-RC1 both crash while trying to render the OBJ files
here:
http://cesium.hyperfine.info/~cowbert/vmd/vmd1.obj
http://cesium.hyperfine.info/~cowbert/vmd/vmd1.mtl

Segfaults after hitting 'Apply'.

Furthermore I read somewhere that the vtk OBJ reader does not read or process
MTL files? Is this something that can be fixed? We'd really like surface
colors and transparency to be imported from the mtl file...

Also Paraview will also crash reading in VMD output to VRML2 with a segfault:
http://cesium.hyperfine.info/~cowbert/vmd/vmd1.wrl

The VMD developers at UIUC are certain these are problems with Paraview and
not their software...

One final method might supportable is: output POV-Ray from VMD and then
convert it to something that Paraview will read. Any ideas on that?

Thanks
Peter C. Lai                 | University of Alabama-Birmingham
Programmer/Analyst           | BEC 257
Genetics, Div. of Research   | 1150 10th Avenue South
pcl at uab.edu                  | Birmingham AL 35294-4461
(205) 690-0808               |